The costs for studying abroad at the Steger Center vary by program. More information can be found on each program page:
- Click this link to go to the Global Education Office page that displays all Steger Center programs
- Select your program of interest
- Click the "Costs/Scholarships" tab
In general, program costs can be divided into three main categories:
- Program fee: This fee, typically billed by the sponsoring department or college, covers required international medical insurance, program excursions, some or all of the student meals during program excursions (depending on the program), and faculty costs.
- Tuition and fees: These rates, which are determined and billed by the Bursar's Office, are comparable to or less than tuition and fees for taking courses in Blacksburg.
- Room and board: For 2019-2020 semester-long programs, the set room and board rate is $7,100. This includes 3 meals per day during the week and 2 meals per day during the weekend when you are at the Steger Center. Confirming your space in a program requires a $600 non-refundable deposit which is applied toward the total room and board cost. Summer programs typically include room and board in the program fee.
Programs may have other required costs. It is important to refer to the individual program page for the most specific, up-to-date information.
Airfare, passport application/renewal fees, and personal spending money are not billable expenses and are not included in the program costs.
Virginia Tech offers scholarship opportunities for students studying abroad at the Steger Center. You can apply for scholarships even if you're not yet sure about your study abroad plans.
- GEO Global Education Scholarship
- Steger Center International Scholarship
- Steger Center Room and Board Fund
- Nyfeler Scholarship
For more information about VT GEO scholarships, click here.
VT Scholarship Application Deadlines
February 6 (for the following fall only)
Winter and spring programs
September 6 (for the following winter and spring only)
Summer I programs
December 6 (for the following summer only)
Summer II programs
February 6 (for the following summer only)
Applications for each cycle will open 6 weeks before the deadlines mentioned above and be made available on Scholarship Central.
For questions related to the Steger Center scholarships please contact Marielle Wijnands at the Global Education Office.
Departmental Scholarship Opportunities
Individual departments or colleges may offer scholarships for study abroad. Students should check with their programs to learn about possible options.
Scholarship Central is also a good resource to find scholarships.
Beyond Virginia Tech, there are many outside organizations that award scholarships to students participating in study abroad programs.
The Global Education Office website has a list of selected non-VT scholarships, as well as a list of searchable scholarship databases for you to find more opportunities. The application deadlines are typically several months in advance of the program start date, so begin your scholarship search early.
In most cases you can apply your financial aid, including loans, grants, and scholarships, towards studying abroad. For more information, click here.
Global Education Office Financial Aid Form
In order to use your financial aid and/or scholarships to study abroad, you must submit a Financial Aid Form to the Global Education Office. This form is required for students who currently receive financial aid/scholarships, or who plan to apply for financial aid/scholarships for the semester of the study abroad program.